Flicker Tale Children’s Book Award
The Flicker Tale Award is sponsored by the ND Library Association and administered by the SLAYS (School Libraries And Youth Services) division of that organization.
- Picture Books
- As An Oak Tree Grows by G. Brian Karas
- Flight School by Lita Judge
- One Word From Sophia by Jim Averbeck
- Goodnight Already by Jory John
- Intermediate Books
- Escape from Baxters’ Barn by Rebecca Bond
- The Dragonsitter by Josh Lacey
- The Story of Diva And Flea by Mo Willems
- Tiger Boy by Mitali Perkins
- Juvenile Books
- The Witch’s Boy by Kelly Barnhill
- The Night Gardener by Jonathan Auxier
- Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer by Kelly Jones
- In the Footsteps of Crazy Horse by Joseph Marshall III
- Non-Fiction Books
- Turning 15 on the Road to Freedom by Lynda Blackmon Lowery
- Big Top Burning by Laura A. Woollett
- Hot Dog! Eleanor Roosevelt Throws a Picnic by Leslie Kimmelman
- I, Fly: The Buzz About Flies and How Awesome They Are by Bridget Heos
The Flicker Tale Committee has chosen books for four categories. Readers will not be restricted to any category based on age or grade level. Rather, we hope the categories will encourage children to read books of their choice at a particular interest or ability level. We encourage all of the young people (and the not-so-young people) to read the books and vote in any category they choose. Librarians do not have to vote on every category. Just the books they read to the students or the books they know the students have read. Each participating school and library is responsible for following the procedures, tallying votes and submitting totals to the Flicker Tale Chair by the deadline.
2017 Flicker Tale Ballot.
Participating librarians should:
- Read each of the books in the appropriate category.
- Have the children vote for their book of choice.
- Tally the votes for each book.
- Send the totals by April 1, 2017 to:
Fargo Public Library
102 3rd Street North
Fargo, ND 58102
or email email@example.com
- At any time send your suggestions for nominations for next year’s Flicker Tale Awards to the above address.
Thank you for your participation!
Letters have been sent to authors of the nominated books inviting them to visit North Dakota schools and libraries. As they respond, the information will be sent to those participating.